10 March 2010

Microsoft VX1000 USB Webcam on Debian Linux Kernel 2.6.30

Finally I Managed to get some time , to Install and use my webcam (Microsoft vx1000,VX3000,VX5000) on Debian Linux machine. 


Process was so much of Search and Research. Though nothing here I am going to put is my original work, with due credit to the people involved (follow the links below) I want to say "It Works! Say Cheese", but before saying cheese or skype or ekiga for some more time you probably also have to say (on your commandline).

$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so cheese
and Result is captured below
Since I looked at LD_PRELOAD for the first time / could not recollect (both are same) 
for people like me I am giving links for that too (and one link is never enough to get deeper)

However in short  ( debian, fedora, redhat,suse, ubuntu any linux flavor)
  • I had to install linux-image-2.6.30-
  • I installed libv4l-dev (preferred)
  • and gspca
After installing all the above
when ever you launch applications = (skype ekiga cheese or any other app)
 LD_PRELOAD=LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
Because that is what I wanted to say cheese to... for now.
Hope to get a better picture than the one I pasted above, its all about how !Photogenic you are!

Chese!

No comments: